Covid-19 or not, the kids’ love of Christmas is eternal. For the 2021 Holiday season, Grassroots Wire has compiled a list of festive activities to enjoy around New York City with the family. You can choose one or try them all to make this year end on a high note.
- An old-time favorite is skating at Brooklyn’s Prospect Park. You can participate in figure skating, curling, broomball and hockey for adults and kids at a very affordable price. You are advised to book a time slot in advance. These are in 90-minute timed public skating sessions. There are two ice skating rinks. The Lakeside covered rink and the Lakeside outdoor rink. The regular season is late November to the end of March. The schedule sessions are available online. Admission is $7.50 per person on weekdays and $11 on weekends. Skate rentals are $8.00 per person.
- Winterfest opened at the Brooklyn Museum and has transformed the space into a winter wonderland with activities, holiday shopping, cultural programs for all ages, beer garden, enchanted tree maze, Santa Land, a fun slide called Snowzilla, the world’s largest snowman, the Chocolate Dome Story, giant snow globe, Life is Beautiful Stage (nightly live music), food & beverage, a spectacular Menorah, specialty food, music and other festivities Located between Brooklyn Museum and Brooklyn Botanical Garden, it runs for 6 weeks from November 23 to December 31.
- New York Dyker Heights Christmas lights offer breathtaking lights adorning these incredible neighborhood homes. Visitors flock every year by bus loads or walking tours. This amazing site can be booked online through several tour companies. If driving, plan on parking in a garage or several blocks away from the tour route. The location is 12th Avenue & 84th Street, Brooklyn, NY 11228. Freetourbyfoot.com recommends 11th Avenue to 13th and from 83rd to 86th Street to see the best lights.
- Free ice skating at Bryant Park, 42nd Street & 6th Avenue, NYC. Free admission and skate rentals at $15 for those without skates. Make reservations online. November 1st through March 6, 2022.
- The Christmas Spectacular starring the Radio City Rockettes runs from November 5 to January 2 at Radio City Music Hall, located at the1260 Sixth Avenue in New York City. Click here for time and tickets.
- Holiday Lights at Bronx Zoo: November 19 – January 9. Family fun is to be had seeing a light show of animal lantern safaris, ice-carving demonstrations, holiday treats, costumed characters, wildlife theater, stilt walkers and more. Select dates from Nov. 20 – Jan. 10. Tickets must be reserved.
- New York Botanical Gardens Holiday Train Show – Nov. 20 – Jan. 23. This is a popular train show of 175 landmarks re-created with bark, leaves and other natural materials. This makes for a perfect day out for inquisitive kids. The train show is located at the Enid A. Haupt Conservatory at the New York Botanical Garden (2900 Southern Boulevard, Bronx, New York.) Visit here for price packages.